What does the American Red Cross do with data?
What does the American Red Cross do with data? The answer is plenty. Indeed, data driven decision making informs their entire approach to managing emergencies.
In this episode, we talk with Senior Director of Business Infrastructure for the American Red Cross Brian Keenum, who recently provided the keynote address at the Australian Esri User Conference. During our conversation, Brian shares his organisation’s experience using world-class technology to enable more accurate, safe and effective decision making in the face of a crisis.
Data-Driven Decision Making Software
Data-driven decision making involves making decisions that are backed by verifiable facts rather than making decisions that are intuitive or based on observation alone.
The American Red Cross uses data-driven software to boost effective emergency management across the spectrum of prevention, response and recovery.
During the interview, Brian discusses RC View which is a custom-made application that uses that uses Esri’s GIS technology.
RC View informs the way that Red Cross responds to emergencies by:
- Providing the organisation’s volunteers and staff with real-time situational awareness
- Identifying and understanding the potential impact a crisis may bring
- Helping to inform who will be affected the worst
- Guiding the way that Red Cross should respond
- Providing the ability for Red Cross to focus their resources in real-time
RC View brings together Federal, State and local data sources into one dynamic picture that informs the decisions and actions of the Red Cross workforce. RC View has improved the efficiency of workflow during large-scale national disaster relief operations, as well as everyday response to house fires and preparedness efforts within communities.
Here are some links that you might like to read/watch for further information:
- Read The GIS solution that’s changing traditional emergency response and recovery – Mark Wallace Manager, Business Development (QLD, NT & PNG)– Esri Australia, Brisbane
- Read A business case for agency interoperability during large-scale crises Mark Wallace Manager, Business Development (QLD, NT & PNG)– Esri Australia, Brisbane
- Read A best-practice open data framework – Mark Wallace Manager, Business Development (QLD, NT & PNG)– Esri Australia, Brisbane
- Watch American Red Cross – Connecting and Helping Volunteers, Partners and Citizens in Need
Ask questions or share your feedback
- Comment on the show notes
- Email email@example.com (audio files welcome)
- Visit the contact page
Connect with me